Ho Chi Minh City, Angkor Wat and sailing on The Mekong
Vietnam and Cambodia
3 nights, in Saigon -7 night luxurious cruise on the Mekong – 3 nights in Angkor Wat
Cruising on the Mekong River and its tributaries take in many of the highlights of Indochina including Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, Cambodian Capital Phnom Penh and Siem Reap with the famous temples of Angkor. Pass from the hustle and bustle of the Vietnam Delta into the tranquillity and rich countryside of Cambodia
Wonderful scenery and culture
Scenery includes many small villages, islands and temples. Visit the bustling ‘French colonial’ port of Saigon (now Ho Chi Minh City), Phnom Penh, once known as the ‘Pearl of Asia’; it was considered one of the loveliest French built cities in Indochina and Angkor with its Unesco World Heritage status. Hundreds of temple ruins at Angkor, including the magnificent Angkor Wat, are located in forests and farmland north of Tonle Sap (the Great Lake) near the town Siem Reap City in Cambodia.
3 nights at Ho Chi Minh City staying at the Liberty Central Hotel
Your holiday journey starts in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam’s most vibrant and cosmopolitan city. Admire remnants of the French colonial era such as the Notre Dame Cathedral and the Hotel de Ville. A full day private tour is included to the extraordinary Cu Chi tunnels, just outside Ho Chi Minh City.
7 night cruise aboard The Jayavarman – a new breed of river cruiser offering a luxurious experience. The vessel resembles a small luxurious boutique hotel with the fittings and fixtures finished to a very high standard. With a maximum of 54 guests looked after by 50 friendly crew you can expect high yet unobtrusive service levels. All cabins are spacious with a private balcony. The amenities onboard include spa, restaurant bar and sun deck.
River cruise destination_blogs and places of interest:
- My Tho – transfer here where your river cruise starts.
- Cai Be a sampan tour is provided of the colourful floating markets; visiting some local orchards and traditional country homes.
- Sa Dec, where there is the chance to take another sampan tour and witness rattan making.
- Chau Doc you have time to explore its old architecture influenced by the French.
- En route to Kampong Cham, you explore a seldom-visited silk weaving village and stop at another traditional village to see what life is like for the local people.
- Phom Penh in Cambodia, you can learn of its turbulent past history in total contrast to the warm welcome you will receive today.
- Wat Hinchey located at the top of a hill overlooking the river; it offers some of the best views in Cambodia.
- Kampong Chining on the Tonal Sap River, you walk through Kampong Loyang, one of the last silversmith villages.
- Tonal Sap lakes enjoy the abundant bird life, the second largest freshwater lake in the world, floating houses are home to many locals, and include a floating school and church.
- Seem Reap the gateway town to the awe inspiring Angkor Wat temple.
(ports may vary depending on local conditions)
3 nights at Angkor Wat staying at The Tara Angkor Hotel in Siem Reap
During your stay at Siem Reap 2 other private day tours are included. A boat trip in the mighty Tonle Sap or “Great Lake” to witness the fascinating bird life and human activity on the lake’s shores. Afternoon visit to the Preah Ko, Bakong, and Lolei temples, dating from the 9th and 10th centuries. The second day visit Angkor Thom (13th Century), including the South Gate, the Bayon, The Terrace of the Elephants and The Terrace of the Leper King, finishing your exploration at the Royal Enclosure. In the afternoon, visit the epic Angkor Wat, viewing its well-known architecture and bas-reliefs.
Cost and what is included
Bed and breakfast is included at hotels; full board on the cruise: private transfers throughout; the three private escorted land tours as listed other than the cruise. An innovative tour program is provided on the cruise with experienced English- speaking guides on hand.
Prices start at £2669 per person ex UK (Sep 13) for the complete package as listed. Apply for other dates and all costs are subject to confirmation at time of booking.
This particular tailor-made package was based on a September 2013 departure at £3179 per person but can easily be updated for anytime and of course durations/destination_blogs can be altered accordingly. In 2013 prices started at £2669 per person.
All costs are subject to confirmation at time of booking.
Contact Simon at Designer Travel Tailor-made Holidays & Cruises
All details quoted are thought to be correct at time of posting but are always subject to confirmation at time of booking
Photo: The Jayavarman (Heritage Line) 97